Ideally you should have a week or two before you list your property in order to stage your home and make it look its best for buyers. But, what if you listed quickly and within hours of the FOR SALE sign going up, a buyer wants to view your property? In that scenario, you need to do some quick “staging” to get your home ready. Let’s assume your property is already clean and tidy. Here are some other things you can do.
- Open the curtains, even at night. This will make each room seem brighter, more appealing and more spacious.
- Pull out some boxes or storage bins. Put away personal belongings and knick-knacks (like that bowling trophy) and other personal items to reduce clutter on shelves and counter tops.
- Clear counter tops in the kitchen and bathrooms. Put the toaster, blender and crock pot out-of-sight.
- Make sure lighting throughout the house is bright and comfortable. In darker areas, plug in a lamp.
- Clear away as much as you can in the foyer. Make that space look open, uncluttered and welcoming.
- Move cars out of the driveway. Give the buyer a convenient place to park!
- Make the beds. Fluff pillows on sofas.
- Clear away as many items as possible from the closet floors (such as shoes.)
- Open a window and air out the kitchen, especially if you just finished cooking.
- Make sure your pet is in a crate or, if possible, out for a walk. Not everyone loves pets.
These staging tips take only a few minutes each, but can make a big difference in the impression your home makes on a buyer.